THE 1 THING YOU CAN’T BUY ON AMAZON: THE SECRET TO SAVING RETAIL REAL ESTATE

“Build it, and they will come.”  

Someone once said that. (I think it was Kevin Costner in the 1989 film Field of Dreams.) This adage, however uncontested in the last three decades by retail real estate developers, now needs revision. --> “First design it, then build it… and then they will come— for the experience.”

By now we’ve all been made aware of the current state of retail being firmly EXPERIENTIAL. As consumers continue to choose to do their shopping online instead of in person, the rumor that “retail is dead” has been spread… however prematurely. After all, retail is not dead; instead, it is evolving to incorporate more than just the brick and mortar buying and selling of goods. Today’s successful retailing includes the promise to provide that which cannot be bought and sold online: face-to-face in person social experiences.

In decades past, retail centers included about 70% of retail space with much of the remaining 30% of space dedicated to restaurants, theaters, fitness centers, and other consumer experience venues. Today, however, that statistic has flipped. In today’s world of experiential retail, 70% of your space needs to be developed for the experience—dining with family, taking a spin class, catching a flick with friends; the remaining 30% of space is retail (including the ever popular pop-up style retail.)

As a retail real estate developer you have to ask yourself—in light of this new development, what is the right strategy in this demi-crisis of retail?

Pacific City in Huntington Beach, CA is a leading example of Southern California experiential retail.


 

WE CAN HELP YOU WITH YOUR RETAIL DESIGN STRATEGY.

It’s all about providing the right space, thoughtfully designed, for consumers to experience. It's not about building buildings, it's about building communities. After all, there's no BUY NOW button for a face-to-face dinner with your best friend from college, and there's no option for "Free Shipping" on taking your daughter to the movies to see the latest Pixar film. We are all just still people. And we know how to build for people.

— SMS Architects
#ExperienceArchitecture #ExperienceSMS

SMS Architects Receive 2018 Gold Nugget Award of Merit for THE LOT at Liberty Station & THE LOT La Jolla

The news came in late last week that SMS Architects' entries of THE LOT at Liberty Station & THE LOT in La Jolla have both been granted 2018 Gold Nugget Awards of Merit for the "Best Rehabilitation Project" category! Grand Award Winners will emerge from the Award of Merit Winners in each category at PCBC on June 28th of this year. We are thrilled to be recognized for The LOT projects and to be in the running for the Grand Award!

 The LOT La Jolla: 2018 Gold Nugget Award of Merit for Best Rehabilitation Project

The LOT La Jolla: 2018 Gold Nugget Award of Merit for Best Rehabilitation Project

 The LOT at Liberty Station - 2018 Gold Nugget Award of Merit for Best Rehabilitation Project

The LOT at Liberty Station - 2018 Gold Nugget Award of Merit for Best Rehabilitation Project

goldennugget-announcement.jpg

Travel Channel + Pacific City

Travel Channel’s Food Network Gets a Taste or Two of Pacific City in Huntington Beach!

 Travel Channel’s Man V. Food host Casey Webb holds a fresh spaghetti grilled cheese while filming at Burnt Crumbs located in Pacific City in Huntington Beach on Sunday, March 25, 2018. (Photo by Matt Masin, Contributing Photographer)

Travel Channel’s Man V. Food host Casey Webb holds a fresh spaghetti grilled cheese while filming at Burnt Crumbs located in Pacific City in Huntington Beach on Sunday, March 25, 2018. (Photo by Matt Masin, Contributing Photographer)

YUM! It looks like the Travel Channel’s Food Network is getting a taste or two of Pacific City for which we here at SMS were the Executive Architect! Get the full-flavored story on Food Network’s Man vs Food and Food Paradise on the Travel Channel featuring Pacific City’s Lot 579 food hall favorites, Burnt Crumbs & PIE-NOT. Great job Pacific City! #smsarchitects #pacificcity #huntingtonbeach #smsexperience

The Groves

75-Acre Mixed-Use Development Soon to Become THE GROVES, has broken ground in Whittier, California!

SMS Architects is proud to announce that as of yesterday, April 4th, a 75-acre mixed-use development, soon to become The Groves, has broken ground in Whittier, California! The building project includes a historical restoration of what used to be a place of worship. Historically, this space has undergone a couple changes over the past century. This project site is actually the 126-year-old former Whittier State School and Correctional Facility which, in the 1960s, was transformed into a Protestant Chapel. As of yesterday, however, the project to redevelop the historical site into The Groves has been set into action! SMS Architects has designed what will specifically become The Commissary at The Groves, a historical restoration which is to be listed on the National Register of Historic Places. The overall site will see the development of 700 homes, new neighborhood parks, and 150,000 square feet of retail and restaurant space. SMS Architects was thrilled to contribute to this community by designing the architectural redevelopment of the former-chapel-turned-community-center to be known as The Commissary. This community center will be available for use not only by the residents of The Groves but also by  the residents of the city of Whittier as a whole. We here at SMS Architects are very excited to oversee the progress and eventual completion of The Groves neighborhood  in Whittier, California. This project is set to be completed in Spring 2020, so stay tuned! Learn more about The Groves here.

Tustin planning for future of former base

TUSTIN – The city is moving ahead with plans to develop vacant land on the former Tustin Marine Corps Air Station.

In July 2008, officials said Tustin Ranch Road would be complete by 2010. The six-lane road is expected to relieve the traffic on Red Hill Avenue and Jamboree Road and connect the cities of Irvine and Tustin. Now, construction is expected to begin by the end of 2011, officials said.

The project was delayed because the city did not have enough funding to finish plans and begin construction.

Barry Gross with Developers Research and Joseph Smart with SMS Architects, are joining the core team.

https://www.ocregister.com/2010/09/14/tustin-planning-for-future-of-former-base/

 

Checking In On Newport Beach’s Cool New Lifestyle Center

“It’s been a while since we checked in on Lido Marina Village, Newport Beach’s cool new luxury lifestyle center. Following Alchemy Works‘s coastal arrival, the seaside shopping hub has rolled out a few shops, including Clare V., Bailey44, Lido Marina Village Books, Curl Fitness, Tress Apothecary & Salon, Planet Blue, Aesop, and Steven Alan. (Phew!)” http://la.racked.com/2016/7/15/12197146/lido-marina-village-newport-beach-construction-update-photos#3